Scientific research at the institute is conducted in various fields of physics and technology. Listed below are the main research areas of IPNT departments.
Department of Physical Electronics
- High-current and microwave electronics.
- Particle optics.
- Emission electronics.
- Ion physics and mass spectrometry.
- Surface physics and diagnostics.
- Coherent optics.
- Physics of interaction of radiation with matter.
- Physics of gas lasers.
- Physics of nanocomposite materials for electronics.
Higher school of applied physics and space technologies
- Modern modulation techniques in digital communication systems
- Digital signal processing
- Spatial orientation based on global navigation satellite systems signals
- Technologies of determination of the location of radio emission sources for radio monitoring systems
- Meteor communication and data transmission systems
- Key methods for generating high-power electromagnetic waves
- Microwave electronics and techniques
- Applied electrodynamics
- Antennas and antenna systems.
- Fiber-optic systems and devices
- Telecommunication systems, statistical radio engineering and microwave electronics
- Technical electrodynamics, optical methods for radio signal processing, nonlinear optics, laser technology, fiber-optic systems for information collecting and processing
- Electronic, ionic and quantum phenomena in solids, plasma and vacuum, corpuscular and coherent optics, high-power electronics
- Physics and diagnostics of biomedical systems
- Gradient optics, radiation physics, physics and chemistry of dielectrics and polymers.
- Physics of semiconductors and quantum-size structures, high-temperature superconductivity, optoelectronic devices.
- Radiophysical methods and electronic means of information protection.
- Quantum frequency standards and magnetometers.
- Optoelectronic signal and image processing systems.
- Laser diagnostic methods
- Casimir effect and its applications.
Department of Physics of Semiconductors and Nanoelectronics
- Optics of nonequilibrium electrons.
- Colloidal nanocrystals (quantum dots).
- Physics of high-temperature superconductors.
- Tunneling spectroscopy and scanning tunneling microscopy
- Optoelectronic instrumentation and the synthesis of nanocomposites.
- Organic nanocomposite materials based on fullerenes.
- GaN LED technology
- Wide-gap semiconductor optoelectronic devices
- Low-temperature spectroscopy
- Photosensitive films and structures
Department of Plasma Physics
- Study of hot plasma in the tokamak magnetic traps.
- Physics of radio frequency (RF) and microwave low-pressure discharges.
Department of Space Research
- Theoretical astrophysics.
- Space instrumentation.
- Atomic processes in space.
- Nuclear astrophysics.
- X-ray and gamma astronomy.
- Computer technology in space physics
Department of Experimental Physics
- Theory of multielectron atoms and atomic processes
- Study of fullerenes
- Magnetic studies
- Laser physics and laser measurements.
- Solid-state radiation physics.
- Spectroscopy of polarized electrons
- Physics of two-dimensional and surface magnetism
- Physics of scintillators
Department of Biophysics
- Modeling of molecular processes
Department of Theoretical Physics
- High energy astrophysics, processes of electromagnetic waves radiation by accelerated particles, explosive processes in the galaxy, self-organization processes in astrophysical plasma systems
- Laser plasma physics, giant laser pulses, radiation theory.
- Interaction of radiation with atomic ensembles. The interaction of atoms and molecules with external fields and radiation
- Spectral and correlation characteristics of scattered light.
- Coherent and nonlinear optics, development of quantum frequency standards, propagation of continuous and pulsed laser radiation in optically dense media, dynamics of laser cooling of atoms
- Coherent and cooperative light interaction with complex quantum systems
- Interaction of particles and radiation with matter, surface physics (quantum theory), nanostructures.
- Interatomic interaction, magnetic phenomena in condensed matter and gases, ultracold quantum gases, superradiance, exchange perturbation theory.
- General questions of solid state physics, natural inhomogeneities of solid surfaces, radiation in solids, singular solutions and instabilities of quantum equations of motion for an electron gas.
- Fractals and multifractals.
Scientific articles and publications
IPNT is the leading institute of SPbPU in number of publications in the world's leading scientific journals and also the leader in number of citations of published scientific results. The projects of our researchers allowed the university to take 201st place in the world QS Ranking in the field of physics and astronomy in 2015. The complete lists of publications are available on the department websites.